Life isn’t always peaches and cream and it isn’t always easy to change your mood to feel better and happier. Veterans often face a unique set of issues that upset their lives. Yes, medical marijuana can often help. But what if you’re just feeling a little down and need something to take your mind off your current thoughts and cheer up?
You can change your mood in many different ways. Some are simple and some take a little more effort.
25 Ways to Change your Mood and be Happier
- Watch a funny movie. No dramas or war movies will work. Turn on a comedy that makes you laugh out loud.
- Take a nap. Even just a 20 minute nap can have you refreshed and feeling better in no time.
- Have breakfast for dinner. That’s right, switch things up and scramble up some eggs or fix pancakes. Doing things out of the norm can shake things up so your mood improves.
- Pay it forward. If you’re at the coffee shop or fast food joint pay the tab for the person behind you.
- Take a break in the sun. If you are at work or at home, take a short break and let the sun shine on your face. Feel the warmth and absorb the Vitamin D.
- Dance like there’s no tomorrow. That’s right, put on one of your favorite upbeat songs and dance your heart out. It’s hard to be in a bad mood when you are feeling the beat.
- Sing a song. Pretty similar to dancing but most of us have a song that is worthy of singing in the shower or just serenading yourself.
- Smile at the next stranger you see. You may not feel like smiling but this is a time where you can fake it. Paste a smile across your face and more than likely you’ll be feeling better.
- Plan a dream vacation. Have you always wanted to go to Italy, or France, or the Grand Canyon? You don’t have to be going in the near future, but put the plan in motion. Pay attention to the little details too – hotels, airlines, clothes to pack, and restaurants to go to.
- Watch the sunset. Sometimes we ignore things that happen every single day. Enjoy the beauty of the setting sun…or get up early to watch the sunrise.
- Take a walk. You might feel like curling up in bed and not moving but force yourself to get up, go outside, and take a walk.
- Bake some cookies or something special. Take some to your neighbor.
- Read a book. Not just any book, but one that is inspiring.
- Breathe! When we are stressed, moody, or upset our bodies react with heavy or uneven breathing. Do some deep rhythmic breathing and calm yourself. You’ll be surprised how quickly this can change your mood.
- Give yourself a facial. This isn’t just for the girls. A man can have a facial too and you probably have the ingredients sitting inside your refrigerator. Egg whites make a great facial product and so do oatmeal and other foods.
- Meditate. You don’t have to take a class to take some time to meditate. Light a candle, relax, and do some deep breathing for ten minutes or so.
- Clean one room. Take one room in your home and get it spic and span. Don’t worry about the rest.
- Stay off social media. Drama is no stranger to social media. Stay off it!
- Make a list of all the awesome things you’ve done in your life.
- Call an old friend. You know, the one you’ve been meaning to call for ever and never seem to find the time. You’ll be laughing together in no time.
- Get rid of five things you don’t use anymore. If you haven’t used it in six months, chances are you don’t need it. Pitch it!
- Play a game. Board games can be loads of fun. Call up your friends and play a game of Monopoly, Sorry, or even a card game like Go Fish.
- Color your hair. OK, so this one is probably more for the girls. Have you always wanted to be a blonde? Would you like to look more exotic with dark hair? Just do it. If it is temporary, it will wash out. If permanent your hair will grow out. Change the color and change your mood?
- Listen. It isn’t all about you. Don’t bogart the conversation. Listen to what others are saying and ask questions that show you care.
- Pay someone a compliment. Sometimes we forget just how great our friends or partners are. Tell them. You’ll boost their self-esteem and help your relationship.
Have any other suggestions about how to change your mood? Let us know in the comment section below.