It’s all about the strain. Did you know that different medical conditions require different cannabis strains to be the most effective?
There are strains high in THC, varieties rich in CBDs, and strains that combine both of these compound types in a balanced approach. Some strains of cannabis are known for inducing drowsiness, others can provide terrific pain relief.
10 Cannabis Strains and the Medical Conditions they are Used For
- Charlotte’s Web: This is one of the cannabis strains that was developed specifically for medical use, and it is often provided to children who have severe seizures which are not controlled by other medications. It is high in CBDs but has very little THC so the user does not get the typical marijuana high while getting the medical benefits that the other compounds offer.
- Jack Herer: Named after the well known marijuana legalization activist this is a hybrid that is sativa dominant. It is believed to have originated with the strain Northern Lights although the exact genetic lineage has not been confirmed. This can be a good strain for day use because it can give an energetic buzz and pain relief that does not make the user super tired or cause couch lock.
- Girl Scout Cookies: This hybrid combines Durban Poison and OG Kush, and it is one of the top cannabis strains for medical use. This strain offers the energetic high of sativa while also promoting a full body relaxation like some indica strains. It is recommended for pain, nausea, and loss of appetite as well as other conditions.
- Trainwreck: This is a 90/10 hybrid that is mainly sativa, and it typically has a higher than average THC percentage. Stress relief, PTSD, anxiety, and pain relief are all common conditions that this strain can be used to treat.
- Blue Dream: This is one of the hybrid cannabis strains that has become very popular because of the medical benefits that it can offer. The strain is more sativa than indica but it offers full body relaxation to go along with the cerebral high that sativas usually give. Blue Dream may work well for nausea, chronic stress, depression, and other conditions.
- Granddaddy Purple: One of the top cannabis strains for medical use is Granddaddy Purple. This is an indica dominant hybrid that may be best used in the evening and at night because it is usually very potent. It offers a heavy stoned experience and is great for sedation, insomnia, and pain relief at night.
- Durban Poison: This is a sativa and one of the top medical cannabis strains for daytime use. It can work well for ADHD, PTSD, depression, pain relief, and some other symptoms and conditions. Use caution if you have never used this strain before because it can be very potent and it can sneak up on you quickly.
- Tahoe OG: As a 50/50 hybrid Tahoe OG offers a balanced buzz and medical benefits from both sativa and indica. This strain is often recommended for anxiety, relaxation, stress relief, muscle pain, muscle spasms and cramping, and mood enhancement. Another effect of Tahoe OG is a very heavy brain relaxation that is calming.
- Blueberry: This is one of the most striking cannabis strains as well as one with many medical benefits. The marijuana has blue and purple coloring through the buds and leaves. It smells like fruit and it has a mild blueberry taste which many people find appealing. Muscle relaxation, anxiety treatment, and stress relief are all benefits of this strain.
- Strawberry Cough: Strawberry Cough is a sativa dominant hybrid and one of the medical cannabis strains that can work well for daytime use. This strain can help with social anxiety, relaxation, mood enhancement, and chronic stress. The marijuana has a mild strawberry scent and the smoke is strong enough to make even seasoned marijuana users cough.
As more states legalize medical marijuana and more grow facilities try new hybrids, we anticipate cannabis strains that are more “illness specific”. Patients may need to experiment to find the very best possible strain for their particular medical needs. Consult with your physician, budtenders and medical marijuana professionals to find your best strain.